Thursday, February 22, 2007

Self Effort & Grace

My teacher once spoke about self effort and grace being the two wings of the bird. I don't know that I really understood what she meant at the time but it got filed away for subsequent review.

Well that review came when I found myself desperately trying to get work as an assistant stylist in NYC. (Which was for me and is generally a freelance position.) I did all of the footwork. I made all of the phone calls, saw all of the people... I did everything I could possibly do to no avail. I started to feel really desperate.

Finally one day I went for a walk and while I walked I prayed to my teacher. I told her that I really needed to work. I said that I didn't even care what kind of work it was I just needed to make some freakin' money! I poured my heart out to her and then I just let it go. I was gone for about twenty minutes. I arrived home and as I was turning the front doorknob I heard the phone ring. I opened the door jumped over my roommate on the couch and answered the phone. It was a woman I had never met before offering me an assistant styling job in Phoenix, Arizona for two weeks. Oh, and we stayed at The Biltmore and it was fabulous!

About six months later I found myself in the same predicament. Late one night just before bed I was reading Jnaneshwar's Gita. I don't remember the exact passage but it related to giving up doer-ship to God. So, I silently stated that I was giving up my job search to God and drifted off to sleep.

I awoke the next morning to a phone call from a stylist. She hired me virtually without references or even an interview. All of her previous assistants had been named Jennifer and she knew that I was her next Jennifer. We have been best friends ever since and she is one of the best people that I have ever known.

Another six months went by and again I found myself jobless for over a month. My dear old Dad was over for a visit and we were talking about my previous experiences. He told me, "Come on Jen just do it again!"
So I said out loud, "Okay, I give it up to God!"
We went to lunch and as we were walking home I received a page. We stopped at a pay phone and sure enough...

Self effort and grace... It's not easy but if you get it right you can almost set your watch by it.

http://www.amazon.com/Jnaneshwars-Gita

http://www.hinduonnet.com/2001/09/25/stories/10250906.htm

http://www.templegreen.com

No comments: